- Effectively incorporate primary and secondary sources into an essay while still maintaining a distinct personal voice thus joining in the ongoing conversation of their fields of interest.
- Apply conventions of both open and closed form writing as a way of enhancing rhetorical purpose.
- Understand the genre of scientific writing and its applications in the various fields of both physical and social sciences.
- Effective application of the principles of ethos, pathos and logos as a means of both understanding and developing the connection between a write and their audience.
- Come to understand writing as a process that necessarily must incorporate the steps of drafting editing and revision.